Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Jiffy Lube

"First let's agree that the only reason we're examining this is because Jedidiah Ayres is making us do this. Nobody wants to see it, but he's an asshole." - Caleb J. Ross

Of all the stories I've had published, none have received a more vocal or visceral response than Hoosier Daddy (originally appearing in Beat to a Pulp: Round 1 edited by David Cranmer and Elaine Ash). I've read several reviews of that book that single it out as a low (or once or twice high) point. I'm proud of it - I think I've made one or two readers barf. It's the only story I've used reverse engineering for - that is, I had an ending and I needed a story to get there - because stories that hang on a sensational episode of plot aren't generally what I'm drawn to. Rather I tend to look for amazing characters who can't help but lead to something memorable plot-wise, but I had this moment... this terrible moment that would be the un-ignorable wake-up call to a fella that his relationship is doomed, if not over, and I had to then construct a character who I believed could end up in the awful predicament my guy Carl does.

Did I succeed? I dunno, but Caleb J. Ross apparently thinks so. Hoosier Daddy is included in my collection A F*ckload of Shorts and senor Ross has put together this helpful video review of the book, and included a really disgusting diagram of the awful scene. Thanks, CJR.


"Hoosier Daddy is the most twisted love story I've ever read. Wow." - Roger Smith

Twisted and wrong - Chris La Tray

Wins my I just threw up in my mouth a little bit award - Charles Gramlich

The kind of sex that would make Larry Flynt reconsider his position on the first amendment -  Scott Phillips

Watch this video, then watch Paul von Stoetzel's short film based on my story Viscosity (also included in A F*ckload of Shorts) and tell me I don't have some serious issues. 

                                 

Yeah, I laughed my ass off right through that scene in Killer Joe, too.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thus we conclude the "Sockpuppeting Scandal" and begin the "Ass-puppeting Scandal."

jedidiah ayres said...

Oh man. I like that. Ass-puppetting

Unknown said...

Don't forget to scrub under your fingernails.

jedidiah ayres said...

The sequel is called Pink Eye

Les Edgerton said...

Uh... believe the correct term would be "brown-eye" Jed... Just sayin'...

DD4inBI said...

Jed, I read this in "F*ckload of shorts" and couldn't bring myself to read on for about two days. Incredible job.

jedidiah ayres said...

Les - toyed with calling it "Don't it Make My Brown Eye Blue"

Dan - It's near the front to discourage people finishing the book