Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Skinny

Thursday night's N@B event was a lot of fun and well attended, thanks to everybody who showed up. I kicked things off with a reading from The Whole Buffalo (Needle #1) in which many perversities were hinted at. Anthony Neil Smith followed with his story Crotch Rockets (Kung-Fu Factory) which makes two stories from that particular issue read at a N@B event (the other being Chris La Tray's Buster Lee & the Chucklehead That Wouldn't Stay Down back in October). Richard Thomas sexed everything up with Underground Wonder Bound and Kyle Minor brought the party to an abrupt end with the horrifying The Truth & All its Ugly. Seriously, I had nightmares... just like I did the first time I read that story from Surreal South. Scott Phillips emceed and pissed off the crowd with some vicious personal attacks and rants... but the stout of heart and girth stayed the course including former participants Malachi Stone, Matthew McBride, Matt Kindt and Tim Lane. Brian Hurtt showed up too and I'm not sure if we helped or hurt our chances of getting him and Cullen Bunn to show up sometime and pimp The Damned and/or The Sixth Gun. I'd love to post a picture or two from the event, but I'm having trouble with blogger... dunno. Sorry.

I just picked up The Ones That Got Away by Stephen Graham Jones, Volt by Alan Heathcock. Can't wait to get to those, but I'm looking at Sara Gran, Megan Abbott and Duane Swierczynski ARCs (and many others) on my bookshelf... they tease and cajole... I am weak. New shit to read from Kieran Shea and Frank Bill too. My own damn fault. Over at Ransom Notes I'm pleading again for short books - I likey. I site some of my favorites as well as new titles including Tom Piccirilli's Every Shallow Cut, Nik Korpon's Old Ghosts and Ray Banks' California. Please leave me some more suggestions over there.

Resolved this weekend - watch Mesrine: Killer Instinct. That is all.

No comments: