Saturday, May 15, 2010

Public Frienemies


Russell Crowe is Robin Hood. It's official. For a long time, I heard rumors about it, but I really did think it was a joke. I kept picturing the dude from The Insider in sweat pants and a hoodie huffing through Sherwood Forest trying to jump over a rock. Made me laugh.

I haven't seen the new movie. Maybe it's good. But I was thinking about the tendency to make folk heroes out of outlaws, imbuing thugs with a moral ideal and interpreting their exploits and demise to suit the contemporary political clime. Their legends belong to us now, to play with and wrangle into whatever shape we deem desirable.

At Ransom Notes I'm giving a shout to Ace Atkins' new one, Infamous, that tells the story of Machine Gun Kelly's ill advised foray into kidnapping and the birth of the modern FBI.

3 comments:

Laura Benedict said...

Seriously--I will not even contemplate seeing Robin Hood. Unless they're kick-ass ballet dancers, men in tights just look dumb. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Now, kilts are a whole other story.

jedidiah ayres said...

I will hastily change my outfit choice for N@B3. Thanks for the tip

Discount coupons said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.